weston and graphics tablet support?

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Oct 31 10:23:09 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 28 October 2016 at 06:22, Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> wrote:
> Short story behind this email is: I seriously question the point of having a
> tablet implementation in weston. I know it's supposed to be the test bed for
> protocols (fwiw, we already have mutter + GTK support for tablets). But in
> order to test this particular protocol, a lot of supporting infrastructure
> has to be there that libtoytoolkit doesn't have. In addition, there are a
> couple of things to be added to the compositor support, especially for mode
> switching, that I question the value of having this in weston at all [1].

Well, there are two different questions here. Weston, I'd say yes (see
below). toytoolkit though, is on the whole not worth bothering with.
Maybe a separate test client akin to simple-touch would be useful for
people to do testing/validation with, and get a rough idea of how
things are supposed to work, but definitely not in the core toolkit.

> Some or most of this work will likely end up being an unused (and thus
> untested) code path, the compositors that care about a niche feature like
> graphics tablet support are unlikely to be the ones that use libweston.

Hm, I don't know about that to be honest. I can definitely imagine
usecases outside the desktop for which tablets would be good. And hey,
a second implementation is always a pretty good way to validate that
you haven't encoded some weird semantics in the protocol that make it
difficult for others to implement.

Cheers,
Daniel