[RFC wayland-protocols] inputfd - direct input access protocol

Joshua Watt jpewhacker at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 03:19:16 UTC 2017

On 04/03/2017 07:22 PM, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 04, 2017 at 08:16:03AM +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
>> On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 17:29:19 +1000 Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net>
>> said:
>>
>> If you're going to do this ... why not just do it for keyboards, mice, touch
>> panels etc. too?
> all these have desktop interactions that the compositor needs. joysticks
> generally don't, the compositor doesn't care about the events.
Is that really true? It seems like there are certainly use cases where a
compositor *would* use the Joystick or gamepad as a primary navigation
device (think SteamOS or some IVI shell). Maybe it could be said that
these are all going to be custom compositors at this point, but I
wouldn't want discount that such behavior could be desired in the future.