[RFC v2 wayland-protocols] inputfd - direct input access protocol

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 10:43:57 UTC 2017

On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 14:04:40 +1000
Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> wrote:

> For the initial patchset, see
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2017-March/033626.html
> For a high-level description, see
> http://who-t.blogspot.com.au/2017/04/inputfd-protocol-for-direct-access-to.html
>
> This is a relatively unexciting update, the notable bits are:
> * instead of having a per-device type get_seat_* request, we now have just a
>   basic get_seat() request that returns all inputfd-capable devices. This
>   allows for mice, keyboards, etc as well without having more requests
> * the property description has a link to the github repo i started for the
>   dictionary
> * the fd was split into a read/write fd to allow for pipes, the type was
>   extended for an evdev-protocol-carrying pipe. (I'm not convinced this
>   is good enough yet, just as a note)

Hi,

I don't understand the need for two fds. Yes, pipes are
one-directional, but one could use a AF_UNIX socket for bidirectional
comms (socketpair(2)). Having a second pipe fd for writing does not
allow for a synchronous command a la ioctl() anyway.

You have read and write fds in the same event. Wayland is
incapable of sending an argument of type fd that is not actually a real
open file descriptor. This means that if the write fd is not needed,
one still needs to create a valid open fd, send it, and close it.

Even if you send the same fd in both arguments, the receiver will
receive two different valued fds. Determining if they are the same
underlying "file" is... I don't actually know how to do that. Something
about comparing fstat(2) information.

We had the problem with the linux_dmabuf protocol, where one needs
to send a variable number of fds. We solved it by sending one event per
fd.