Making weston (or maybe libinput) ignore an input device

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 08:05:15 UTC 2017

On Tue, 5 Dec 2017 13:57:39 -0600
Matt Hoosier <matt.hoosier at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The thing I'd like to arrange is for a device which is otherwise a
> valid keyboard, not to get automatically vacuumed up into the Weston
> DRM backend's usage of libinput.
>
> Nowadays, Weston has delegated most of its former firsthand extraction
> of UDev properties to libinput. Nothing exists (that I found) in
> Weston's immediate sources to cause an input device reported through
> the libinput UDev seats to be ignored. I also had a quick stroll
> through libinput to look for some kind of sensitivity to a UDev
> property with that effect, but didn't spot anything likely.
>
> Is there a best way to do this? The best thing I could think of was to
> try to add a late-running UDev rule that subtracts out the
> ID_INPUT_KEYBOARD=1 property, so that libinput won't know what to do
> with the device. But that seems like a fragile solution -- some
> package unknown to me could come along and install an even-later
> running rule that messages that arrangement up.

Hi Matt,

you could try assigning that device to a different physical seat with
the ID_SEAT property:
https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/udev_config.html

There is also LIBINPUT_IGNORE_DEVICE mentioned on that page.

Some talk about physical vs. logical (wl_seat) seats:
https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/seats.html

A compositor usually handles only one physical seat, and Weston in
particular does so.