Wayland talk at FOSDEM

Silvan Jegen s.jegen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 08:21:37 UTC 2017

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 10:32 PM, Philipp Kerling <pkerling at casix.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2017-12-06 (水) の 08:56 +0100 に Silvan Jegen さんは書きました:
>> I see that you left out the text-input/input-method protocols in your
>> topics. Is it because those are unstable or because you don't
>> consider
>> them to be important enough?
> I just hadn't seen them in practice yet personally, to be honest.
> Having taken a closer look, I think it would be best to focus on
> protocols that have or are expected to have good cross-compositor
> support and are useful for general-purpose desktop applications. Is

Yeah, that makes sense.

> text-input implemented in a mainstream compositor besides weston?

IIRC, Gnome doesn't use it but uses dbus for communication with the
IME and KDE implemented their own new version of the text-input
protocol. I don't know about Sway though. Apparently the current
version of the text-input/input-method protocols have some
shortcomings and that's why they are not being used.

The new KDE version of the text-input protocol was posted on this
mailing list early last year but their revisions have not made it into
a new official unstable protocol yet. I am just wondering if there is
a chicken and egg problem here with noone using the protocol because
it doesn't suit their needs and then people not caring about it since
noone is using it...

Cheers,

Silvan