[RFC wayland-protocols] Color management protocol

Graeme Gill graeme2 at argyllcms.com
Wed Jan 4 22:05:03 UTC 2017

Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 10:30:50 +0000
> Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I think that's basically correct, argyllcms doesn't have any header
>> files or shared libraries. When using it to generate color profiles
>> for things like printers from gnome-color-manager I have to spawn the
>> binaries themselves (and only in a VT...) and then scrape the output.
>> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-color-manager/tree/src/gcm-calibrate-argyll.c#n273
>
> Oh, that's a huge surprise to me, being accustomed to open source.

What connection do you expect between open source and a set of
applications somehow _having_ to be structured as a library ??

(Yes, of course my Open Source ArgyllCMS Color Management toolset
 has a multitude of headers and libraries that it uses to implement
 its functionality. But being a set of applications, it isn't necessarily
 intended that other applications link to all that.)

> Just like programs can choose their toolkits, compositors should be
> able to choose their color management providers for calibration and
> color processing.

You missed profiling. CMM yes, but calibration and profiling and complex
linking, etc. etc. - no - they are user applications. Users
want to be able to pick and choose between such applications, not
be locked into a single implementation. This fosters
competition and innovation, just like any other application
area.

Graeme Gill.