weston sometime fails to start using systemd unit file

Daniel Díaz Rodríguez daniel.diaz at linaro.org
Tue Jan 10 15:58:00 UTC 2017

Hello!

On 10 January 2017 at 06:39, Vikas Patil <vikasmpatil at gmail.com> wrote:
> We are starting weston (1.9.0) using below systemd unit file of type notify
> (backported sd_notify related changes from weston 1.11.0 to weston 1.9.0).
> It works well with i.MX6 (NXP, fbdev backend) based platform, however with
> Jacinto (TI, drm backend) based platform sometimes it fails to start and
> sometime it works after reboot. It always works if we start weston service
> manually after platform boots up using “systemctl”.
> Is there anyone encountered this issue? Any suggestion/inputs to fix this?

We have seen this, as the DRM device is not readily available by the
time Weston launches. Our service unit is a bit different [1], but the
approach that proved most convenient was to use this udev rule to call
for Weston:
  https://github.com/96boards/meta-96boards/blob/master/recipes-graphics/wayland/weston-init/71-weston-drm.rules

If this doesn't help, please attach your weston.log.

Greetings!

Daniel Díaz
daniel.diaz at linaro.org

[1] https://github.com/96boards/meta-96boards/blob/master/recipes-graphics/wayland/weston-init/weston.service