Wayland protocol licenses

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 08:42:38 UTC 2017

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 06:51:16 -0800
Yong Bakos <junk at humanoriented.com> wrote:

> > +<protocol name="surface_layers">
> > +
> > +  <copyright>
> > +    Copyright © 2017 Drew DeVault
> > +
> > +    Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this
> > +    software and its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted
> > +    without fee, provided that the above copyright notice appear in
> > +    all copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission
> > +    notice appear in supporting documentation, and that the name of
> > +    the copyright holders not be used in advertising or publicity
> > +    pertaining to distribution of the software without specific,
> > +    written prior permission.  The copyright holders make no
> > +    representations about the suitability of this software for any
> > +    purpose.  It is provided "as is" without express or implied
> > +    warranty.
> > +
> > +    THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS
> > +    SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
> > +    FITNESS, IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY
> > +    SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES
> > +    WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN
> > +    AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION,
> > +    ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF
> > +    THIS SOFTWARE.
>
> I just noticed that this, and the linux-dmabuf-unstable protocol have different
> copyright notices from the rest of the protocols Wayland source. Not sure if
> this matters or not.

Hi,

is it really different text, or just different line wrapping?
How does it compare to Wayland source file licenses?

IIRC Weston does have some files with a different line wrapping but the
text should be identical across all files in a repository.

It's possible some files migrated before the license texts were
unified. I think it would be good to unify the remaining ones if there
are any.