Linux: Smooth splashscreen with system having weston with drm-backend

Vikas Patil vikasmpatil at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 13:33:44 UTC 2017

Dear All,

I am looking for an solution to have early smooth splashscreen on the
Linux system with Weston and drm-backend.

I tried showing splashscreen using Linux logo and fbcon Linux features
but it is not smooth as when system boots logo gets displayed via
kernel and as the Weston starts
I see flicker and blackscreen.

Another approach I tried is having standalone drm api based
application [1] which uses the one of the available hardware
plane/overlay for displaying splash image and Weston is
starting and uses default plane which is different from plane utilized
by above application. but still I see flicker and black screen when
Weston starts.

I want splash to be displayed on one of the h/w plane and Weston
should start in background without any flicker and black screen on
some other plane.

Anyone here before achieved such a use case with such system? Looking
for inputs/suggestions/ideas to achieve this. It is ok if something
needs to be hacked/changd at any level (kernel driver, weston).

This is required on platform such as TI (Jacinto) and Intel (Broxton)
or devices based on drm graphics stack.

[1] http://git.ti.com/glsdk/example-applications/blobs/39080525baca7bf136f2412d62436366a736af6b/drm-tests/drm_z_alpha.c

Thanking you all for your time and inputs in advance.

Thanks & Regards,
Vikash