Possible to run an xorg desktop in Wayland?

Jonas Ã…dahl jadahl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 02:24:53 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 04:05:21PM -0600, Jeff Sadowski wrote:
> So from what I gather wayland can run xorg under it right?
> If I'm running xorg I should be able to run something like x11vnc to
> connect to that xorg correct?
> and run stuff like xdotool on that xorg as well right?

Not really. Normally when running a Wayland compositor, X11 clients
connect to a Xwayland instance, that, to simplify things, translates X11
to Wayland. However, since Wayland has a lot more isolation (for example
no way to inject input affecting other clients, eaves dropping on input
events sent to other clients or read the screen content) certain things
that clients like xdotool (inject input) and x11vnc (inject input + read
screen content) will not work.

X11 clients injecting and eaves dropping input events amongst each other
might still work though, but regular Wayland will be completely
unaffected.

They would work if you run the clients in a rootful complete Xorg server
on top of Wayland (such as Xnest and Xephyr), but in effect that will be
a like running a separate session with a separate window manager and
background etc inside a window, much like how virtual machines are
presented, and they (x11vnc, xdotool, clients in the nested X server)
will only be displayed in and aware of what is inside that nested x
server.

Jonas