Sub-surfacing a surface from another process

Lupu Claudiu lupuu.claudiu at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 15 08:35:11 UTC 2017

Hello,
    I have an application which doesn't register to any shell, it just create a wl_surface, I don't have source code for it. I want to make it a subsurface of my application so I made an extension of wayland protocol to get the wl_surface object from the composer. I am able to call wl_subcompositor_get_subsurface and I can see the role has changed.         Even if my main surface is visible and rendering the subsurface isn't.If I use the same wl_surface I get from composer and register the surface to ivi-shell or xdg-shell the surface I wanted to be a subsurface gets visible and renders. Is it possible to make a subsurface from a surface created by another project?
Thanks,Claudiu