Display rotation in Wayland/weston in imx6sx

Jomon John jomon.john at tataelxsi.co.in
Thu Jun 22 06:50:11 UTC 2017

Teemu,

>>> We have HW iMX6SoloX based HW running Yocto 2.2 and Wayland/Weston 1.11. There is need to rotate the display 90 degrees. In X11 this wouldn't be a problem since you could use xrandr. >>What I understood Wayland does not  support this method.
>>
>>You are right, xrandr is the configuration utility for X
>>
>>> There is rotate config(transform) option in Weston, but it did nothing when tested. Is there a way to rotate the display in Wayland that would work with iMX6 or is that something that is not currently supported in that  combo? (Wayland + imx6).
>>
>>Transform will work, i tried the same on i.mx6 (with DRM backend) and it was working, but you will need mainline kernel. Not sure whether you can do the same fbdev backend.
>
>So, when using Yocto it seems I need to move away from linux-fslc-imx - kernel and start using linux-yocto - kernel configured for iMX6 instead? Or can the linux-fslc-imx - kernel be configured for DRM backend or is that something possible only on mainline  kernel?

You will need linux-fslc, which is based on mainline.

> At least quick glance to linux-fsl-imx - kernel menuconfig did show DRM enabled, but that's pretty much it. No mention of NXP/Freescale there.
> Only reason we are currently using Yocto 2.2 is that Yocto 2.3 uses Weston 2.0 and at is it today the NXP does not provide graphic drivers other than FBDev so I'm not sure how DRM would work.

The mainline got etnaviv, open source driver for vivante GPU also mesa got the necessary support for etnaviv. so you can use the mesa + etnaviv stack for DRI.

> Is it accelerated?

Not a graphics expert to make any comments, anyway it uses GPU :) .  i am also trying out the DRI setup with wayland/weston.

_
Best Regards
Jomon John