waltham ivi-application build failed

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 08:49:42 UTC 2017

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 23:51:03 +0000
"Mizuno, Wataru (ADITJ/SWG)" <wmizuno at jp.adit-jv.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I found ivi-applicaion.xml under data directory and tried to build it.
> I had edited data/command.xml and build it then it succeeded so I did
> same way to do ivi-application but it failed.
>
> I guess additional procedures are needed.
> Could you please tell me how to build ivi-application.xml?

Hi,

I cannot guess what changes you made, so I cannot comment on those.

We haven't got far enough with Waltham to be able to build multiple XML
files together. src/waltham/Makefile.am generates several source files from
command.xml. One would need to replicate those rules for
ivi-application.xml to build more files, and add them into the build.

However, the Waltham infrastructure is not developed enough to nicely
support this, and you e.g. end up with more than one
waltham-{client,server}.h-like files to install. Furthermore, the
generator currently creates global variables which are not scoped to
the XML file, so the generated code will conflict.

The actual solution we planned for is to let every user (project) to
generate their own files while the Waltham library exports only a
generic marshalling/dispatch API and the XML files like Wayland does.
This requires changes to the code generator, the generated symbols, and
splitting command.xml up into internal and public parts.

I think as a stop-gap measure you might be able to copy the interface
definitions from ivi-application.xml into command.xml and keep building
only command.xml.