weston-simple-egl fullscreen broken?

Vincent ABRIOU vincent.abriou at st.com
Thu Mar 9 15:01:03 UTC 2017

On 03/09/2017 02:48 PM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Mar 2017 12:53:35 +0000
> Vincent ABRIOU <vincent.abriou at st.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Pekka,
>>
>> On 03/09/2017 11:32 AM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> you do know that sometimes not committing from eglSwapBuffers() is
>>> going to break applications, right?
>>>
>>> The commit is used for a lot more than just pushing a buffer.
>>>
>>> Applications can be expecting other state to be latched in by calling
>>> eglSwapBuffers() since it must never return without having sent the
>>> wl_surface.commit, and wait for events triggered by that commit before
>>> continuing.
>>
>> Ok I see. So my patch is unsafe.
>>

>>> In particular, applications that throttle to wl_surface.frame callbacks
>>> would freeze forever if any single commit was skipped.

>>> I think there are two different things here.
>>>
>>> First, I believe that simple-egl is maybe a little off when starting
>>> with -f. It could negotiate the fullscreen size before creating the
>>> wl_egl_window. It actually does already use window->wait_for_configure
>>> AFAICT, it would just need to postpone creating the wl_egl_window later
>>> (e.g. on-demand just before calling redraw()), which means it needs to
>>> postpone also GL init and the other dependent things.
>>>
>>> The code guarantees, that there are no draw calls before the call to
>>> wl_egl_window_resize() setting the size for the first frame. This works
>>> fine for EGL implementations that get the buffer on the first draw call
>>> or EGL_EXT_buffer_age query, but unfortunately we don't probably have a
>>> spec to point to and say the EGL implementation got it wrong.
>>>
>>> Second, using a wrong sized buffer for the first commit should cause a
>>> glitch at most, and start running just fine fullscreen after the first
>>> correctly sized buffer has been committed. But it sounds like it just
>>> fails to show at all, ever?
>>>

>> I was expecting the first frame is wrong and then others will be good.
>> But as you mention, the Mali400 library is stuck and any of the frames
>> are shown. The second time the weston-simple-egl redraw function is
>> called it is stuck in glClear.
>
> I wonder if that's actually Weston's problem/feature of not mapping a
> fullscreen window with a "wrong" size... Quentin?
>
> Vincent, would you be able to check what the Mali library is waiting
> for? Is it a wl_surface.frame callback or something else?

After a check, Mali library is waiting for a wl_surface_frame callback.
This callback is used to warn mali that the swap has been completed.

> In any case, I think we are assuming in lots of places that EGL
> allocates the buffer on the first draw call since the size might change
> until then. After all, it is quite likely that something triggers a
> resize after you have shown a frame, i.e. after eglSwapBuffers. One
> should not need to draw and commit one more buffer in the old size to
> get a new size. You can't assume all GL apps are games that just push
> frames unthrottled as fast as possible, some might actually need user
> input before updating again since there is nothing to change on screen
> otherwise.

One point is that starting weston-simple-egl in normal mode (250x250)
and then switching to fullscreen by pressing F11 key is working well
with Mali library.

Vincent