Touchpad on an XPS 13 9360

Michael Wisniewski mikewiz38 at gmail.com
Wed May 3 22:41:34 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 6:08 PM, Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net>
wrote:

> fwiw, this stuff would be better on a public mailing list, so others can
> learn too.

OK.  :)  Adding the public list back on here.

> On Tue, May 02, 2017 at 07:47:31AM -0500, Michael Wisniewski wrote:
> > Peter,
> >
> > I hope you don't mind me asking a couple more questions; you seem to be
> an
> > expert on this topic.  :) On my XPS13, for whatever reason, there are two
> > touchpads; a Synaptic one and a " DLL075B:01 06CB:76AF Touchpad" one.
> Many
> > of the articles I've read said that you should disable the Synaptic
> > touchpad or else bad things happen.  Just for kicks, I tried to disable
> the
> >  DLL075B:01 06CB:76AF Touchpad one and the touchpad didn't work at all.
> > Disable the synaptic one and the touchpad works.
>
> I'd like to see those articles, because, well, that's just plain BS. The
> devices are the same touchpad, the only difference is whether the kernel
> talks to the device over ps2 ("Synaptics...") or over i2c ("DLL0...").
> Because of the way modules are loaded in the kernel, you always get the ps2
> device, then the kernel tries i2c and if it works you get the DLL0 device.
> But once the touchpad is initialized over i2c, it won't send events over
> the
> ps2 event node, that device is simply mute. Disabling it or not has no
> effects on the events.

You're right with this, but just having the synaptics (ps2) device and
disabling the DLL0 device makes the touchpad not work.  Now mind you, I did
this though xorg configs....I'm wondering what would happen if I
blacklisted the i2c_hid that drives the i2c touchpad.  Here's the bug
report that kind of talks about it.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1591669

> > In any case, when I execute 'xinput list-props' while using the Synaptic
> > driver, there are a ton of properties that can be set.  If I use the
> > libinput driver, there are nearly not as many options available.  I'm
> > wondering if maybe part of my problem is that it's not reading all the
> > available options for my touchpad.  Just as an example, I have "Device
> > Accel Constant Deceleration (266): 2.500000" when using the Synaptic
> driver
> > but not the libinput one.
>
> libinput doesn't have the same number of config options, that's expected.
> a bunch of things that synaptics has options for are set within libinput.
>
> https://who-t.blogspot.com.au/2016/04/why-libinput-doesnt-ha
> ve-lot-of-config.html
>
> so yeah, afacit everything works fine here.

I saw your blog late yesterday and it helped explain a number of things,
why it doesn't have a lot of config options is one of them.

I have another laptop that has an ALPS touchpad using libinput and it feels
wonderful.  Everything about moving the cursor/pointer around on the screen
seems right.  On this XPS13, it seems like I've been struggling with it for
a few days now.  I would say that the issue I'm having is with very small
movements....it's like you move your finger quickly to the area you want to
click, start to slow down, then move your finger slowly the rest of the way
to that point.  I have the problem where when you slowly move it around to
that point, it doesn't react smoothly.

I read another message by you somewhere else giving instructions on how one
might be able to submit data that was collected throughout the day to help
improve libinput.  Would you be open to taking a look at the data if I
collected it throughout the day?

Thanks,
Mike