[ANNOUNCE] wayland 1.13.0

Derek Foreman derekf at osg.samsung.com
Fri May 5 21:06:00 UTC 2017

On 26/04/17 11:47 AM, Daniel Stone wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 21 February 2017 at 22:59, Bryce Harrington <bryce at osg.samsung.com> wrote:
>> Our next major release will be version 1.14, which will be scheduled
>> tentatively as follows:
>>
>>   √ Development opens immediately
>>
>>   - 1.14-alpha in early May

And here we are.

>>   - 1.14-beta around mid May
>>
>>   - 1.14-rc1 late May, with rc2 only if necessary
>>
>>   - 1.14.0 around beginning of June
>
> I'd like to discuss this. As it stands, we're around a week away from
> shipping an alpha, and feature freezing. At this point, we have
> already committed libweston breakage such that the SOVERSION has hit
> 3. So far, we have nothing to offer for this breakage, just a bunch of
> bugfixes and a pile of cleanups and groundwork that will only become
> useful with future features.

libwayland doesn't seem to have seen any interesting change either...

> Quentin has a queue of work he'd like to get through here:
> https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/bundle/sardemff7/next%20release/
>
> There are a lot of patches in Patchwork we should really get through
> as well, but I don't have time this week (travelling atm). I would
> also like to get the atomic precursor work[0] landed if at all
> possible. And I'm sure others have their own wishlists: Derek's
> no-FD-leak series comes to mind, and I'm sure there are others if we
> looked and triaged properly.

I do have a vested interest in landing the no-FD-leak series, as we've
hit some of those corner cases in practice.  Having them fixed in a
public release would be lovely.

> So, my question: is it worth releasing now, or is a delay in order? If
> we are to delay, we should set a new deadline, and put reasoning
> behind this. For example, as a strawman, I believe about 6 weeks
> should be sufficient to get aforementioned atomic work reviewed and
> landed, and it seems like we could also get Derek's FD leak series
> plus the libweston output object changes reviewed in that time as
> well.

This sounds good to me - based on purely selfish reasons, being that one
patch series. :)

> Also I think we should start having these discussions for future
> releases. To be clear, this is _not_ about feature-based releases, but
> looking at the time we have, and trying to concentrate all our efforts
> towards things we would like to have for the release. If we had some
> clear goals of what we thought we could get into the release, and what
> would be valuable, we could put our efforts towards that, and
> hopefully have some more focused releases.
>
> Thoughts?

I think we have a backlog of stuff that hasn't landed because it hasn't
been reviewed (and revised...), I see no harm in holding the release
and no benefit to rushing it.

Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to feature based releases - though I'd
probably have dragged things out far too long waiting for atomic to land
by now, so maybe that's an unpopular point of view.

Better triage for the upcoming release and more focus for following ones
would be nice - does anyone want to take a pass through patchwork and
give a go/no-go for the upcoming release?

Thanks,
Derek