Screen Redraws (Surface Redraws, GPU Redraws) in Wayland

Ryan Sipes ryan at system76.com
Fri May 12 16:10:17 UTC 2017

Hey guys,

New to Wayland and had a big question. I was curious as to whether work
had gone into when screen redraws were made (they are called "Surface
Redraws" and "GPU Redraws" in Android). I know in Android this has
resulted in better battery life. I'm sure many in this mailing list
know, but what it does is only redraws when changes have been made. Is
this on the roadmap? Has it already been implemented? I know it was on
the roadmap for Mir, so I'm curious if it is an consideration in
Wayland.

Love the work, using Wayland right now with multiple monitors and it
works great!
	Ryan Sipes
COMMUNITY MANAGER
RYAN at SYSTEM76.COM