libweston versions and tutorials

adlo adloconwy at gmail.com
Wed May 31 13:53:35 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 1:54 PM, Quentin Glidic <
sardemff7+wayland at sardemff7.net> wrote:

> On 5/31/17 2:37 PM, adlo wrote:
>
>> Is libweston 1.0 good enough for writing a compositor?
>>

> Yes, but each major version is adding or changing API to make it simpler
> to write a compositor. Specifically, libweston 2 has introduced a much
> nicer output API, thanks to Armin’s GSoC work.
>

> Are there any tutorials or simple examples for writing a compositor using
>> any version of libweston?
>>

> I think someone started something, but it’s probably outdated by now.
>
> One advice I’d have to give is to use libweston-desktop, that abstract a
> lot of protocol stuff and just let you manage toplevel surfaces without
> worrying about shell protocols, popups and other boring things like that.
> :-)

I compiled my own libweston by hand, but when I try to run my compiled
Weston on a nested GNOME Wayland-on-Wayland session, I get the error
message "Failed to load module: /lib/libweston-3/wayland-backend.so: cannot
open shared object file: No such file or directory". Any ideas on why this
is happening?

Regards

adlo