Running multiple Wayland window managers in different ttys

Deepak Jois deepak.jois at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 14:56:25 UTC 2017

On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 2:32 AM, Dima Ryazanov <dima at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. Actually, Weston *should* set the right wayland socket automatically.
> They're not mapped to ttys - but Weston tries them until it finds an
> available one (at least, in my case). I see the following in the log:
>
> [23:52:27.077] libwayland: unable to lock lockfile
> /run/user/1000/wayland-0.lock, maybe another compositor is running

So I tried a few things, and looks like I had gotten my system into a
state where the wayland-0.lock file wasn't present. That was probably
what was causing all this weirdness.

I rebooted my system, launched a fresh Gnome session, and then
proceeded to launch Weston and Sway on tty3 and tty4, which created
new sockets wayland-1 and wayland-2 respectively.