Running multiple Wayland window managers in different ttys

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 06:31:30 UTC 2017

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 11:06:38 +0530
Deepak Jois <deepak.jois at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 12:28 AM, Matt Hoosier <matt.hoosier at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The trick here is to inform each compositor that it should be
> > listening on a different Wayland socket name. For example, if you use
> > Weston:
> >
> >     $ weston --socket=wayland-1
> >
> > This will cause Weston to establish its listening socket under the
> > name /run/user/<uid>/wayland-1 rather than the default
> > /run/user/<uid>/wayland-0. I think you're running into collisions
> > where each of your compositor instances is mislead into believing that
> > it successfully managed to appropriate /run/user/<uid>/wayland-0 for
> > itself.
> >

> That worked. I have a follow up question. From what you are saying, it
> sounds like it is preferable for two independent window managers
> running as the same user to create two different listening sockets. It
> isnt a good idea for the compositors of say Gnome and Sway to share
> the same listening socket. Am I right?

Yes.

A graphical client connects to a socket. The one server listening on
the socket will receive the connection. I.e. you choose the server to
connect to by choosing the right socket. There is no "sharing". At
most, one might compositor overwrite the socket of the other, but that
is usually prevented by using a lock file for each socket file by
convention.

To clarify, a Wayland window manager is not a separate entity. A window
manager is a built-in part of a Wayland compositor (a.k.a a Wayland
display server), and we tend to talk about compositors here. But that's
just wording.