To the libinput people: standard network protocol for remote input devices?

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Oct 29 23:23:41 UTC 2017

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 10:09:01AM -0500, Matt Hoosier wrote:
> This question is mainly meant for the input device developers that hang out
> here.
>
> Does anybody know of a de facto network protocol that should be used for
> relaying input devices across a network? I don't have full remote-desktop
> situations in mind -- this is narrowly a question about devices with some
> touchpanel or similar that isn't directly cabled to the circuit board.

there's no dedicated protocol that I can think of. The various remote
desktop solutions have input parts to them (VNC, Spice, etc.) and I'm sure
there is enough home-cooked stuff for the various 'use my phone as
touchpad' applications.

Forwarding evdev directly over the wire is simple enough and if you create a
uinput device on the remote end it'll slot in perfectly with the rest of
the input stack.

Cheers,
   Peter