Why isn't Xwayland just a Wayland client?

Joseph Burt caseorum at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 10:56:22 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm thinking this might be a job for a bit of translation shim within
Xwayland. Everything an X client needs either has a Wayland equivalent
(through an X server and a little translating XWM shim) or, where
forbidden by Wayland, can be stubbed out with a few white lies e.g.
"There are no other clients," "Your relative position is global."

I'm thinking of taking a whack at this. Are there any dragons in the
Xserver I should be aware of?

Best,
Joseph