Why isn't Xwayland just a Wayland client?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Wed Sep 6 23:17:07 UTC 2017

On Wed, 6 Sep 2017 15:49:48 +0200 Joseph Burt <caseorum at gmail.com> said:

> Hi Olivier,
>
> On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > One thing to consider as well is that you will need to decorate the X11
> > windows as Wayland is basically client side decorations.
>
> I was under the impression that Wayland doesn't specify client- or
> server-side decoration, and currently also doesn't have a protocol to

It is CSD in Wayland for Wayland clients, unless somehow compositor and client
negotiate something else. In the default case, if a client does not decorate it
will not get any decorations (titlebar and so on) at all.

> indicate which will be done, right? So that's a little sticky as it
> is, but In any case, decoration has to be done no matter what happens
> in this X11 side channel, as it does now.

Correct as the default in X11 is "window manager decorates" which is the
opposite of Wayland.