Why isn't Xwayland just a Wayland client?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Thu Sep 7 07:43:15 UTC 2017

On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 08:17:29 +0200 Joseph Burt <caseorum at gmail.com> said:

> On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 1:17 AM, Carsten Haitzler <raster at rasterman.com> wrote:
> >
> > It is CSD in Wayland for Wayland clients, unless somehow compositor and
> > client negotiate something else. In the default case, if a client does not
> > decorate it will not get any decorations (titlebar and so on) at all.
>
> IIRC that's not specified in the protocol, just what Weston does, and
> there's no negotiation protocol. Am I wrong? That might be a hole in
> Wayland, but not really related to Xwayland, so I guess off-topic
> here.

It doesn't have to be specified in the protocol. It is what every compositor
does because everyone agreed early on that CSD is the default. Weston did it
then everyone else did it. To be compatible everyone stayed the same. They have
to. Kwin guys disagreed but they couldn't change the default (so they added
more protocol to negotiate decorations).

A compositor will NOT decorate windows unless as per above. It doesn't have to
be put in protocol specs to be a hard fact of life in Wayland.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com