Why isn't Xwayland just a Wayland client?

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 09:29:28 UTC 2017

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 10:58:34 +0200
Joseph Burt <caseorum at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 21:18:48 +0200
> > Joseph Burt <caseorum at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,

> >> Alright, I'm hearing a consensus of: worthwhile if possible, but
> >> probably unpleasant, somewhere between fiddly and very painful. I'll
> >> hack a bit at the problem and see how much it hurts.
> >
> > Hi Joseph,
> >
> > exactly. Good luck, reserve a good stock of booze, and don't waste all
> > of your sanity or liver! ;-)
> >

> > Thanks,
> > pq
>
> HI all,
>
> This is absolutely possible. What I'm working to implement at the
> moment: Every managed, user-movable X window is a surface, and is
> alone and static in its own full-resolution "workspace," which makes
> the surface-local to X coordinate transformation just adding a
> multiple of the vertical resolution to y. This is to avoid having to
> move fake positions around on resize. Position hints are ignored.
> Everything else is a subsurface. I'm working to get this all into
> Xwayland itself to avoid proxying. We'll see about that.
>
> Can anyone think of a fatal gotcha here?

This is my list of few X11 apps to test, when I poked around Weston's
XWM:

- xterm, and its menus
- geany (gtk+2); menus, context menus, tooltips
- printf 'eka\ntoka\nkol\nnel\nvii\nkuusix\n' | dmenu -l 4
- gimp; toolboxes, menus, context menus, tooltips
- kcachegrind (Qt4), menus and tooltips

- GDK_BACKEND=x11 gtk3-demo --run=combobox
	comboboxes, context menus, menu demo

- rofi -show run -modi run

dmenu: http://tools.suckless.org/dmenu/
rofi: https://davedavenport.github.io/rofi/

Not all of them work properly in Weston either.