Referencing enums in other protocols

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 09:08:20 UTC 2018

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 03:42:31 -0400
Simon Ser <contact at emersion.fr> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> While writing a protocol, I've been trying to reference symbols from another
> protocol. While it seems to work fine for interfaces, it fails for enums:
>
>     error: could not find enumeration wl_output.transform
>
> Is this by design? It seems odd to me that interfaces work but enums don't.

Hi,

I think that's an oversight. It should indeed be possible to reference
enums just like interfaces from other protocol files.

The cause for the failure is that wayland-scanner wants to check that
the enum name is valid, and if it is a bitfield then the type must be
uint. But obviously this is not possible if the enum definition is not
available.

I can see two possible courses of action: drop the check, or add a way
to provide additional protocol files for "external references".