Wayland/weston opens files in suspend/resume

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 07:17:42 UTC 2018

On Thu, 23 Aug 2018 08:30:35 +0300
Teemu K <maillinglists18 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, since it's i.MX6 and NXP (still) doesn't provide proper video
> driver so proprietary EGL driver is being used. I think they even made
> their own fork for Weston 2.0.0 onward that they can keep using their
> old driver instead fixing it to the way Wayland wants it.
>
> I did try Etnaviv opensource graphics driver, but I couldn't get it
> working even with the newer kernel so I'm stuck with the old driver.

Hi,

I've heard mentions that etnaviv could actually work. Make sure you
have a very very fresh upstream kernel, possibly Mesa master branch,
and upstream Weston 4.0.94 at least. And no propriatery drivers
anywhere. The bits needed to support etnaviv span through the whole
graphics stack, but I believe they should be mostly in place by now.

> But it seems that as I suspected it's not so much Wayland problem, but
> the driver issue.

Right. It could have been a Weston issue, and if there still is a
Weston bug, we would be happy to receive a fix. But, that means you
need to reproduce the issue with upstream Weston and without
proprietary drivers.

It would also be possible to run Weston with its software renderer
(Pixman) to avoid needing any GPU drivers, on the Weston DRM backend
with upstream display drivers. Of course, doesn't help if you need
the GPU.

All that said, I'm not sure if anyone else is seriously testing
suspend/resume with Weston.