After display protocol error communication between wayland protocol and client is broken.

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 09:38:56 UTC 2018

On Thu, 27 Dec 2018 11:55:03 -0800
Dima Ryazanov <dima at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yes, that's expected. From the documentation
> <https://wayland.freedesktop.org/docs/html/apa.html#protocol-spec-wl_display-event-error>:
> "The error event is sent out when a fatal (non-recoverable) error has
> occurred"
> It indicates a bug in the code, so there's no point in handling the error.

Correct. After any protocol error, the Wayland connetion is dead.
The only way to recover is to clean up the old connection and make
a new one, starting from scratch.

Of course, runtime recovery is just a band-aid, and you really
should fix the underlying bug that caused the protocol error in the
first place. A protocol error is conceptually not much different
from a segmentation fault or a crash - it should never happen.