Window positioning

Carsten Haitzler raster at rasterman.com
Thu Jan 4 06:31:09 UTC 2018

On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 13:23:49 +0000 "Han, Guowei"
<Guowei.Han at johnsonoutdoors.com> said:

> We are running a multi process application. And GUI is act as a transparent
> top layer. All other process rendering by them self underneath. So its
> important for other process to place the window at right potion.

Then you want to probably use process to process buffer sharing (e.g. like a
nested wayland compositor), and maybe subsurfaces. Then you have a main process
that acts as a gateway for other processes and their buffers and input etc. and
this process manages your policies within its window and relative positioning
space.

Never rely on the system compositor for this. What if the system compositor
didn't have a rectangular screen but displays on a globe? Or a hemisphere? Or
it wrapped the display around a 3d bunny rabbit? What if it was a compositor
for a mobile-like UI where it decided every app window is to be "fullscreen"
and mutually exclusive to other apps, displaying only 1 at a time? Relying on
and demanding global positioning files in the face of implementing man common
UI policies you see today across many devices. Wayland (and xdg-shell) are
designed to be as agnostic as possible to the final display policy and thus
limit things like positioning to only be subsurface based (relative to main
surface).