wlroots whitepaper available

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 13:51:09 UTC 2018

On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 15:50:31 -0500
Drew DeVault <sir at cmpwn.com> wrote:

> On 2017-12-28  8:38 PM, Emil Velikov wrote:
> > On 28 December 2017 at 18:05, Drew DeVault <sir at cmpwn.com> wrote:
> > Surely you are familiar that weston provides libweston with somewhat
> > similar functionality, right?
> >
> > Since your email is aimed at wayland-devel, it might be better to
> > point out what part of libweston design does not fit your needs?
> >
> > In my (somewhat limited) experience developers seem quite open about
> > libweston. I cannot see any proposals from you - did I miss them, or
> > you simply felt uncomfortable posting those to the list?
>
> I briefly addressed our concerns with libweston in the paper. They boil
> down to problems that generally arise from libweston being refactored
> out of an existing compositor rather than being made from the ground up
> as a support library. We didn't find it flexible enough or applicable to
> niche compositor designs, and we found the codebase rather crufty with
> lots of design problems from Weston bubbling up through libweston.

Hi,

I agree with Drew here, totally, that libweston is not (yet) really a
library but just the heart of Weston put aside. There is a lot to be
done before it could be good library.

> I had thought the libweston approach is fundamentally flawed and
> supposed it'd be better to start from scratch. Comparing the two
> libraries today, I conclude that my assessment was correct. Most who
> work on wlroots agree that its approach is much better than libweston at
> all levels. I think libweston is a fine effort for improving Weston in
> its own right, but for building new compositors the wlroots approach
> wins out.

I understand this decision. The goals are different. It also allowed
you to move much faster than improving libweston given the shortage of
review bandwidth Weston has.