Planning for another Wayland release

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 13:49:16 UTC 2018

Hi gents,

On 12 January 2018 at 22:51, Derek Foreman <derekf at osg.samsung.com> wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>

> On 2018-01-12 04:00 AM, Daniel Stone wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bryce,
>>
>> On 12 January 2018 at 00:31, Bryce Harrington <bryce at osg.samsung.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there interest in another release at this time?  It's been about a
>>> 1/2 year since last release, so feels due.  I could do a schedule
>>> something like:
>>>
>>> For Wayland 1.15.0 and Weston 4.0.0:
>>>
>>>    - Alpha on Tuesday, Jan 16
>>

>> Honestly, I'm not comfortable shipping an alpha four days from now.
>>
>> I did a clearout of the review queue last month, but that's not yet
>> complete, and I'd like someone to have a more structured look at the
>> queue (or just to look at all ...) to find stuff that should make it
>> into the next release. Currently, we have at least Derek's zombie
>> series, my atomic series and Pekka's clone-mode series, which are all
>> unlikely to land before Tuesday, but are seemingly very close to
>> having at least their foundations land.
>>
>> I think it would be best to announce a date before FOSDEM, but make
>> sure we have a good handle on the state of the tree before we do and
>> make sure we don't unnecessarily drop things. That would include
>> keeping a close eye on how it develops, rather than just running
>> release.sh on a strict timer. I was pretty unhappy last time when we
>> put out a release in the middle of discussing a possibly-critical
>> patchset; reading the list would've pointed to a few hours' or one
>> day's delay as being helpful, but in the end the release just abruptly
>> went out and made the whole thing moot.
>>
>> Given how much we could potentially be landing, I think we would need
>> someone more actively involved (patch-herding, review, testing,
>> list/IRC discussion) to handle the release process; I'm happy to do
>> that for this release.
>

> I'm able to dedicate time to these tasks for the foreseeable future.
>
> If there's interest, I can take on a few release cycles.

Can we consider the following features for the upcoming release?
All of these have been out for months and I would love to see them merged.

Please let me know how I can help to get them merged.

 - Add symbol prefix for exported symbols - Jonas  v1 [1] from July.
Approach seems fine IMHO, there are a few questions to consider and respin

 - Select object type (aka control wl_.*_interface symbol visibility)
- Emil [2] from July
Series needs a few acks and respin. Jonas has an alternative solution [3]

 - Import frontend wayland-egl.so (+ tests) - Emil [4] originally from
Sept, updated since then
Dummy import from Mesa, all nitpicks addressed and reviewed by
Miguel, Arnaud Vrac

Thanks
Emil

[1] https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/26732/