libinput touchscreen maxTouchPoints

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Wed Jan 24 09:18:24 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 10:04:52AM +0100, Johannes Pointner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have noticed that since we are using xf86-input-libinput all our
> touchscreens (resistive and pcap) reporting a value of 15 for
> maxTouchPoints.
> After further looking into this I saw that xf86-input-libinput sets
> this value fix to 15. I also checked if it is possible to get this
> info from libinput but I wasn't able to find a possibility.
>
> Is this intentionally?

mostly, it's largely a matter of not exporting information that doesn't need
to be exported. at least with touchpads libinput does a few tricks and
changes the number of touches available (not yet at runtime, but who knows)
- once we start exporting this we're a lot more limited in what we can do
internally to work around broken devices.

Main question is though: what do you need this value for?

Cheers,
   Peter