Users of libweston?

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 09:10:21 UTC 2018

On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 10:05:58 -0500
Matt Hoosier <matt.hoosier at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Pekka's recent comments about wanting to enable set-top boxes built with
> libweston to do DRM content got me to wondering:
>
> Who all is using libweston directly (as opposed to running /usr/bin/weston
> possibly with custom shells plugins or similar)? For my own purposes, I
> just use the full compositor because it's pretty lean and mean anyway, and
> I can do what I need by loading plugins.

Hi Matt,

I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't many users yet. There is a
huge amount of things I'd like to do before I could comfortably propose
using libweston. I still think it needs to be a goal in mind all the
time though, otherwise we'll never get there. :-)

IMO the major point of using libweston instead of weston is to be able
to customize the UX any way you want - all the stuff and policy that is
currecntly hardcoded in main.c and the desktop-shell plugin. Making all
configurable is probably not feasible.

My hope with gaining set-top box etc. use cases is to gather more people
developing for Weston, people who could be dedicated in the long run.
Maybe that could gain us more upstream maintainers.