[RFC wayland-protocols] unstable: add protocol to give focus to a foreign surface

Markus Ongyerth wl at ongy.net
Thu Jul 5 17:40:21 UTC 2018

On 2018/7月/05 04:26, David Edmundson wrote:
> This protocol is to address the following use case.
>
> A user clicks on a URL link in an IRC chat and a web browser opens. We want
> an existing browser window to raise or if it's a newly spawned application
> to claim focus on startup.
>
> Naturally we also don't want any arbitrary client to be able to raise
> themselves arbitrarily.
Since this steals focus, I have to agree. But what we do want, is a way for
clients to gain attention.
Probably via some kind of urgency flag on their toplevel.
I think raising a window (or for virtual-desktops, changing the desktop) is
the extreme case of this, so I think it would fit a general urgency/attention
grabbing protocol.
As I explain further down (I wrote this mail bottom up) I think we should be
able to provide a way to allow the focus stealing, so we could have this in a
protocl with a request family (or enum on one request?) for:
Attention: e.g. console bell, or some password query for a background task
Urgent: Something went wrong in e.g. gparted long-running process
Raise/Show: e.g. browser got opened a new tab for another application

> The protocol is a combination of xdg-foreign and some very simplified
> aspects of X's startup-notification.
>
> In the example above, the chat client gets a token from the compositor and
> passes it to the browser using:
>   - an environment variable for newly spawned apps
>   - platofrm-hints in the org.freedesktop.Application interface
>   - some hint in the relevant xdg-portal interface
>   - any custom mechanism
There was a discussion about this very recently in the suggestion for session
recovery, it's not quite this easy.
And I think a quite common way to start applications (if we don't want to
limit this to http[s]) is xdg-open, which I'm not sure if it provides for this
use case.

As Drew pointed out in his answer already, the out  of band mechanism will not
be the easiest thing to define. And when you read the previous discussion,
you'll notice that the consense on which IPC to use isn't all that strong =.=

> The browser then requests a raise of a top-level using this token.
>
> (Exact common mechanisms should probably be defined, but maybe not in this
> document)
>
> The exporter is virtually identical to xdg-foreign's exporter, but we can't
> re-use directly it as it's important that clients know what the exported
> handle could be used for.
>
> Extending xdg-foreign would be a viable solution, but the lifespan of
> handles needs to be different..
>
> Honouring the activation request is entirely up to the compositor which can
> have whatever advanced focus rules it wants.
>
> Draft proposal below:
I feel like this is a bit too specific and complicated for what's supposed to
be achieved here.

IMO we'd have a better solution (and more flexible to build on in the future)
if this was split into two protocols, one for raising a window, and the other
for passing serials.

The former protocol would simply have a request to be raised, that takes a
valid serial. This could also be used for applications with multiple windows
if they want to have another of their windows focused (e.g. fancy editor when
you try to open a file again).

Then provide a secondary protocol that "hooks" into this one, by sharing
serials.
This would be a simpler protocol without a direct use, but could be used as
base to share (implicit) permissions gated on user interaction between clients
that intend to outsource some task.
This protocol could largely look like xdg-foreign (maybe have the exporter one
be destroyed implicit immediatly after the event) since serials have their own
lifetime.

> -----------
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <protocol name="xdg_foreign_activator">
>
>   <copyright>
>
>   </copyright>
>
>   <description summary="Protocol for sharing focus between cross-process
> xdg surfaces">
>       This protocol allows a top level to give up focus and pass it to a
> specific other client.
>
>       An example use case would be a chat client opening a link in a
> browser, that should raise an existing window
>       or start the newly opened window with focus.
>
>       The application releasing focus (focus_exported) fetches a handle
> from the compositor and then passes it to another client using a third
> party mechanism.
>
>       The receiving application can use this handle to request focus from
> the compositor.
>   </description>
>
>   <interface name="zxdg_focus_exporter_v1" version="1">
>     <description summary="interface for exporting surfaces">
>       A global interface used for exporting surfaces that can later be
> imported
>       using xdg_importer.
I think you meant to:
s/xdg_importer/xdg_focus_activator/