Advertising supported Dmabuf modifiers of DRM device

Ucan, Emre (ADITG/ESB) eucan at de.adit-jv.com
Thu Jul 26 13:54:33 UTC 2018

Hi all,

We are currently querying supported modifiers only from gpu drivers via EGL_EXT_image_dma_buf_modifiers extension.
But we should also query and advertise modifiers which are supported by DRM device. We are already getting this information via IN_FORMATS of a drm plane.

IMO, it is not enough to just query and advertise every supported format and modifiers combination to applications.
Applications can easily choose a format, which is only supported by GPU device and not DRM device. In the end, this would force us to use gpu for composition.
We should mark modifiers of DRM device as preferred ones. This would require modifying linux-dmabuf protocol.

What do you think?

Best regards

Emre Ucan

Advanced Driver Information Technology GmbH
Engineering Software Base (ADITG/ESB)
Robert-Bosch-Str. 200
31139 Hildesheim
Germany

Tel. +49 5121 49 6937
Fax +49 5121 49 6999
eucan at de.adit-jv.com

ADIT is a joint venture company of Robert Bosch GmbH/Robert Bosch Car Multimedia GmbH and DENSO Corporation
Sitz: Hildesheim, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Hildesheim HRB 3438
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Wilhelm Grabow, Ken Yaguchi