[ANNOUNCE] libinput 1.11.0

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Jun 5 00:28:47 UTC 2018

libinput 1.11 is now available.

The automatic parsing of the trackpoint sensitivity sysfs file has been
reverted, this caused the trackpoint to send NaN deltas on some devices,
notiably the Lenovo CompactKeyboard with Trackpoint. Other devices affected
would've been any device with a low sensitivity. A full fix to this will
have to be addressed after the release.

Other than that, a few doc changes and some simplification in the
model-quirks udev callout.

To make this announce message slightly more informative, here's the list of
changes since the 1.10.0 release, copied from the rc1 and rc2 announcements:

A new tool pair is available now: libinput record and libinput replay.
These tools supersede the evemu-record/evemu-play tools currently used to
debug events. Usage is basically the same for users, simply run
        sudo libinput record
and select your device. The biggest advantages are that we can now
record and replay multiple devices at once and interleave the output from
evdev with the one from libinput. This should make debugging a lot easier.
For more info, see
https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/tools.html#libinput-record

The touchpad jitter detection code has been improved to reduce the
number of false positives. Some touchpads require the kernel fuzz setting to
be set to avoid pointer jitter though, please see this page for details:
https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/touchpad_jitter.html

A new touchpad acceleration code has been merged, the behavior now resembles
the pointer acceleration of macos. You will notice that your touchpad is
slower at slow speeds and accelerates sooner. At the same time, the speed
range available has been greatly extended, so the slowest speed and highest
speed are quite significantly apart now. This should, hopefully, allow all
users to select a speed to match their preferences.

The maximum delta for trackpoints has been increased, reducing the amount of
pressure required to move the pointer around the screen. We also merged a
bunch of trackpoint range hwdb entries to set the expected range for some
common devices. The POINTINGSTICK_SENSITIVITY udev property is now ignored,
instead we just read that value directly from sysfs.

A new API call is now available to fetch the number of supported touches
from a device with the LIBINPUT_DEVICE_CAP_TOUCH capability:
   libinput_device_touch_get_touch_count()
You can use this call to determine if the touch device is single- or
multi-touch capable.

Note to packagers: the libinput-list-devices and libinput-debug-events
compat scripts have been dropped, see commit 8a223e739b0a35e28. Revert that
one if you need to keep shipping those.

In addition to the above, we have various fixes across the board including
palm detection and thumb detection improvements, better handling of Aiptek,
HUION, etc. graphics tablets and better handling of the stylus -> touch
transition on graphics tablets.

A few fixes to make the test suite more reliable. A side-effect of that is
that we now support more than 3 internal keyboards for both the lid switch
and disable-while-typing touchpad-keyboard pairings. This doesn't really
happen unless you run the test suite and we'll still warn about it, it's
just that now we'll just pair with all those keyboards instead of ignoring
them.

Martin has expanded the libinput measure trackpoint-range tool to provide
better data for estimating the range. Together with the updated firmware
detection code and an added hwdb entry the new ALPS SS5 trackpoints are now
usable.

Finally, the thumb threshold, previously hardcoded, is now a udev hwdb
entry. The current entry captures the Lenovo Thinkpads, any other device
will not have thumb detection until the required entries are added. One more
reason for you to test this RC and quickly file the required bugs.

As usual, the git shortlog is below.

Peter Hutterer (8):
      udev: drop the custom firmware detection code in favor of a modalias
      udev: drop the JUMPING_SEMI_MT quirk, no-one uses it
      doc: move the "Users" section to the top of the "pages" section
      evdev: don't allow a trackpoint range of 0
      Revert "udev: copy the trackpoint sensitivity directly from sysfs"
      doc: improve the 'tools' page
      doc: point at --verbose for libinput debug-events
      libinput 1.11.0

git tag: 1.11.0

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/libinput/libinput-1.11.0.tar.xz
MD5:  a182dab52f4d33bc1ef50668dcf53cc6  libinput-1.11.0.tar.xz
SHA1: 5c242a99c7e4c678e15f7bd100f94fa338b81240  libinput-1.11.0.tar.xz
SHA256: 64a36c4f826f4b5d473bf2cb803122f96390a18243ec810f2ce8ac5076a0bc12  libinput-1.11.0.tar.xz
SHA512: 382a6c9ec4aaf13ac209ee5a7f507c7a6d2dd399c5104703ac7c6ac62fb3f393de6f4e15d7895b18c8b8d845ce8fc1f551a90aa7532f0de4cc17e57a09cfe857  libinput-1.11.0.tar.xz
PGP:  https://www.freedesktop.org/software/libinput/libinput-1.11.0.tar.xz.sig