Release schedule

Derek Foreman derekf at osg.samsung.com
Fri Jun 8 21:13:41 UTC 2018

On 2018-06-08 03:21 AM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 15:45:00 -0500
> Derek Foreman <derekf at osg.samsung.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2018-06-04 07:14 AM, Daniel Stone wrote:
>>> Hi Pekka,

>>> I know you didn't mean it like this, but I think it's good to be clear
>>> that this isn't a corporate demand to fix releases at a certain point.
>>> That user is just another one of our downstreams and another datapoint
>>> to take into consideration. (But a good one!)

>>> When does it mean alpha/beta?
>>
>> I'm traveling from July 16-20, and will have very poor internet access.
>>
>> This would put as at:
>> Alpha June 12
>> Beta June 26
>> RC1 July 10
>> Final July 24 (normally we're 1 week between RCs but july 17 is
>> problematic for me.)
>>
>> So that's coming up fast.
>
> Hi Derek,
>
> very fast. Even too fast.
>
> I suppose I could be happy with just alpha coming in a month, or at
> most in two months. I don't personally mind being on vacation during
> the freezes, but I though it would be nice for others to be around. I
> would also be ok if your travels were during some freeze period, we
> could extend it respectively.
>
> Please, suggest a schedule you would be comfortable with.

Hmm, how about we enter alpha in the second week of July?
Alpha - July 10th
Beta - July 24th
RC1 - August 7th
First possible release August 14th.

Which pretty much puts you on holidays for most of the freeze.  I'm not
terrified by this, I think having you around prior is what's most important.

Is that still fast enough?

Thanks,
Derek