Proposal: use of xdg-shell popups outside of xdg-shell

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 08:43:02 UTC 2018

On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 09:29:30 -0400
Drew DeVault <sir at cmpwn.com> wrote:

> Hi there! Over at the wlroots project we're thinking about repurposing
> xdg-shell popups for use in another protocol that needs popups. The
> popup interface is somewhat complex and duplicating it for each protocol
> that might want to support popups is less than ideal.
>
> From an API perspective, both xdg positioner and xdg popup look easily
> reused with parents other than xdg toplevel. Everything is cleanly
> separated in xdg shell to accomodate for this. The only real issue is
> this line:
>
> https://github.com/wayland-project/wayland-protocols/blob/master/stable/xdg-shell/xdg-shell.xml#L1010
>
> I propose simply dropping this comment from the protocol description.
> It's a backwards- and forwards-compatible change, and there's no
> compelling API-driven reason not to permit the reuse of xdg popups
> elsewhere. Would definitely simplify the implementation of our new
> protocol and future protocols that could use them.

Hi,

just checking, how did you design your own protocol extension to take
advantage of xdg_popup? I mean, mechanically, what does the protocol
request sequence look like when you create an xdp_popup for your own
purpose?

I'm asking because there is a pretty subtle and horrible catch if it's
done "wrong". Having your own protocol extension include a request that
creates a protocol object of type xdg_popup is the wrong way. There are
other ways to do it without accidentally freezing the xdp_popup
interface for all eternity.