T480s Trackpoint drifts

Kai Hendry kai.hendry at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 08:28:20 UTC 2018

Hi there,

I'm an Archlinux user who has a new T480s Thinkpad and unfortunately
the Trackpoint can (not always or reproducibly) "drift". I hope that
makes sense!

The trouble is I can't seem to disable the Trackpoint pointer itself,
but still have the buttons work, which I do use out of habit.

Generally speaking I find the the track point is a bit too fast (and
imprecise and hence useless) and the track pad a bit slow.
For example if I drag my finger across the Trackpad, it's not enough
to get from one side of the screen to the other.

I deleted Windows [1] so I don't really have anything to compare to. I
do know years ago, my old old Thinkpads, the trackpoint did use to be
a good UX. Now... not so much!

https://s.natalian.org/2018-03-19/t480s-list-devices.txt

Many thanks!

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFlt7PI0sw8&list=PLiKgVPlhUNuz9k0xIp7PGUV5mmDdTS1vJ&index=2