Clipboard manager use case

Albert Vaca albertvaka at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 16:18:45 UTC 2018

Hi there!

I would like to start a discussion about the need of a protocol for
clipboard management in Wayland. As far as I know, the current approach for
clipboard managers and similar apps requires them to be implemented as part
of the compositor. This is of course a limitation for third party clipboard
managers and apps like KDE Connect, which I maintain.

For some context, KDE Connect is a service that bridges your smartphone and
your computers together, with features like wireless file transfers, shared
notifications, or a shared clipboard across devices (on X11).

For the clipboard synchronization in KDE Connect to work on Wayland, we
need a way to:
- Change the contents of the clipboard.
- Get notified about the contents of the clipboard when it changes.

I think our needs are very similar to those of clipboard managers, so
probably one single protocol could address both necessities.

What do you think? Should I make a protocol proposal for this use case? Is
there any similar use case that I'm overlooking?

Albert