Clipboard manager use case

Simon Ser contact at emersion.fr
Fri Nov 9 11:16:01 UTC 2018

On Thursday, November 8, 2018 3:40 PM, Albert Vaca <albertvaka at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> I've given your proposal a read, and found it quite complicated. There are
> concepts like "data device" or "data source" that seem too abstract from my
> point of view. I guess your idea is that the clipboard is just one of many
> possible "data devices", but I find this unnecessarily generic.

No, this is not it. There is only one global "clipboard". The protocol doesn't
aim to be generic, it just uses different names. As said in the pull request,
this protocol is just a copy of the "clipboard" interfaces in the core Wayland
protocol. I suggest you read [1] which gives an overview of how this works.

Basically:

* There is one data device per seat
* You can set the selection by creating a data source
* You get get the current selection by using a data offer

> In my opinion, I would prefer a protocol that just talks about the clipboard and
> its contents. Something similar to the Android Clipboard Manager API [1], on
> Wayland.

Unfortunately you won't be able to create a Wayland protocol from a Java API.
Wayland is not an RPC protocol, it's an asynchronous protocol.

[1]: https://wayland.freedesktop.org/docs/html/ch04.html#sect-Protocol-data-sharing