External DMA to gpu

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 07:03:20 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 17:08:25 +0200
Dirk Eibach <dirk.eibach at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi Pekka,

Re-adding wayland-devel to cc, hope that's ok.

> > I suppose that means you still do a copy from the gbm_bo/dmabuf into a
> > window surface? If you used zwp_linux_dmabuf manually from your Wayland
> > client, you could avoid even that copy. It has the same caveat as below
> > though.
>
> I don't think so. The grabber does direct DMA to the VRAM, making the
> texture should be zero copy. Or am I missing something?

Below you say you use glEGLImageTargetTexture2DOES(). That gets you a
GL texture. To actually get that GL texture on screen, you have to do a
GL drawing command to copy the pixels into an EGLSurface created from a
wl_surface. That's the copy I'm referring to and which would be
avoidable if you don't have to e.g. convert the color format in the app.

Or are you using some other tricks?

Once the pixels are on a wl_surface, the compositor will do one more
copy to get those into a framebuffer, unless the requirements for
scanning out directly from the client buffer are met. But I would guess
it is more important to optimize the grabber-to-VRAM path than the
wl_surface-to-scanout path which is likely just VRAM-to-VRAM so pretty
good already.

> > > My only problem left is that glEGLImageTargetTexture2DOES() does only
> > > accept ARGB8888 and not RGB888, which means I have to waste a lot of
> > > PCIe bandwidth. Any ideas how to get around this? Or what would be a
> > > more appropriate place to post this question?
> >
> > Yeah, I suppose support for true 24-bit-storage formats is rare
> > nowadays.
> >
> > The format list advertised via zwp_linux_dmabuf, visible via e.g.
> > weston-info, can tell you what you could use directly. After all, a
> > Wayland compositor does the same EGLImage import as you do in the
> > simple case.
> >
> > You could probably use the GPU to convert from 24-bit to 32-bit format
> > though, by importing the image as R8 format instead of RGB888 and
> > pretend the width is 3x. Then you could use a fragment shader to sample
> > the real R, G and B separately and write out a 32-bit format image for
> > display.
>
> Is there any example code for a gl noob? I already did some research but
> didn't find anything useful.

Nothing much come to mind. Weston uses similar tricks to convert YUV
data to RGB by lying to EGL and GL that the incoming buffer is R8 or
RG88 and using a fragment shader to compute the proper RGB values. It
is really just about lying to EGL when you import the dmabuf: instead of
the actual pixel format, you use R8 and adjust the width/height/stride
to match so that you can sample each byte correctly. Then in the
fragment shader, you compute the correct texture coordinates to read
each of R, G and B values for an output pixel and then combine those
into an output color.

Reading YUV is more tricky than reading 24-bit RGB, because YUV is
usually arranged in multiple planes, some of which are sub-sampled,
e.g. half resolution.