arch linux: weston 5.0.0 not working with nouveau

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 09:15:32 UTC 2018

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 10:12:18 +0200
Dirk Eibach <dirk.eibach at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps I should add, that with rolling back to weston 4.0.0.
> everything works fine. So nouveau support must have been broken
> somewhere inbetween.

Hi,

right, so it's a regression. Weston does not have code specific to
Nouveau, but it did go through extensive changes to the DRM-backend
between 4.0.0 and 5.0.0.

The error itself is the most surprising to me: EGL says it's using
Nouveau, yet "failed to create kms fb: Invalid argument". It is as if
Mesa/Nouveau allocates buffers that the kernel DRM/Nouveau driver
cannot use. One would have to look more closely on what happens there,
is Weston fumbling some buffer attributes, or is it a bug in Nouveau
that just got exposed by using EGL/GBM/DRM little differently.

The only tangible suggestion I can make is to bisect Weston and see
which commit breaks things for you.