arch linux: weston 5.0.0 not working with nouveau

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 10:27:48 UTC 2018

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 11:16:03 +0200
Dirk Eibach <dirk.eibach at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I did a git bisect and found the commit "244244d1 (refs/bisect/bad)
> compositor-drm: Use GBM modifier API" introduced the problem.

Hi,

ok. I wonder if there is something wrong with Mesa/GBM/Nouveau, since
it is generic code in Weston and works for other drivers. It could also
be something the Nouveau DRM driver in the kernel.

It's possible no-one else has tried using the new GBM API with Nouveau
before.

The idea in short is, Weston queries the KMS device what pixel formats
+ modifiers it can use, Weston picks the pixel format, and asks GBM to
choose the modifier to go with it from the set KMS-supported modifiers.

If the KMS device doesn't support querying the formats and modifiers,
then Weston is meant to fall back to the old path with implicit
modifiers, which presumably should make Nouveau happy. Of course,
it would be better if Nouveau worked correctly with the new stuff.