weston rdp black screen

Jean-Francois Dagenais jeff.dagenais at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 17:13:35 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I am working on weston on yocto. Amongst other things I have created a meson
version of the weston recipe found in poky.

Either on my embedded platform or on my PC. Whenever I try to use the rdp
backend, whether as the root compositor or through the [screen-share] command. I
get a black screen. Input works though and I can blindly click on the
weston-terminal icon, then type commands and proved it works by issuing "killall
weston" ;)

I have tried all the RDP clients at my disposal on mac (CoRD, microsoft's rdp v8
and v10).

I get a different behaviour on microsoft' remote connection on windows itself.
Weston logs show: [15:42:10:184] [1809:1809] [ERROR][com.freerdp.core.transport]
- BIO_read returned a system error 11: Resource temporarily unavailable and the
client shows a microsoft style error box with no info in it.

I have no experience with freerdp and need any clues as to what to do to find
the problem.

ANY pointers what so ever will help me.