weston rdp black screen

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 07:40:28 UTC 2019

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 08:18:58 -0400
Jean-Francois Dagenais <jeff.dagenais at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Apr 17, 2019, at 03:27, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 14:28:16 -0400
> > Jean-Francois Dagenais <jeff.dagenais at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> In the end though, all I am really paid for is adding remote screen capability
> >> in our product which is quite a subset of a proper generic VNC backend. The
> >> resulting work would not be upstreamable, but would still be of value in the
> >> open source domain for the next party to carry it forward.
> >
> > Oh, in that case, have you looked at Weston's remoting plugin?
> >
> > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/tree/master/remoting
> > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/blob/master/doc/remoting-client-receive.bash
> >
> > The catch with that is that it depends on the DRM-backend which is
> > currently the only thing providing "virtual outputs". It's also "just"
> > a one-way point-to-point video stream at the moment, there is no remote
> > control whatsoever.
> >
> > There were plans to add remote input to that and a simple viewer
> > application, but that seems to be on hold for now.
>
> Yeah I had seen that. Thanks for pointing it out. I didn't have time to
> investigate it thoroughly though. It is quite appealing for our need although I
> am not clear on what the client receiving this should look like (VLC perhaps?).
> The input can indeed be a problem, but might be an easier problem to address
> than the screen sharing part. My understanding was that it creates a separate
> output whereas we need to always display on our LCD and stream only that output.

Hi,

that's right, the remoting plugin does not do mirroring of an existing
output. It cannot be configured to mirror, because a) weston lacks the
configuration options, and b) weston's damage tracking would get
confused. Both things are to be fixed some year, but no plans for them
yet, really.

An example of the receiving client is in the second URL I pasted: a
gst-launch command line. That of course won't ever do input, you'd have
to write a new receiver program.

Adding input is actually a pretty big task. The video protocol in use
won't carry input, it currently has no security, and so on. I would
think that fixing/enhancing the RDP backend or even writing a new
backend using some other well-known library for remote desktop access
will be less work and easier.