wayland-protocols scope and governance

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 09:54:02 UTC 2019

On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 13:29:59 -0400
Drew DeVault <sir at cmpwn.com> wrote:

> On 2019-04-18 11:19 AM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> > Would be interesting to hear what you think after you've submitted 5
> > MRs to the same project, to be able to see past the first-time setup
> > cost.
>
> Is it much different from Github? I've used Github extensively and I
> understand the Gitlab flow is pretty similar. It's definitely a lot more
> work, even though it's easier for people who don't grok email.

I can't say, I don't really interact with any projects in Github.

Making a Gitlab account is similar effort as subscribing to a mailing
list. You can re-use a Github, Google, or some other accounts if you
want to.

As the one time setup cost, you need to make a "fork" in Gitlab of the
project where you will be submitting to, and add that as a remote in
your git checkout repository.

In Gitlab, first you need to have an exact branch you would like to see
merged. You git-push that branch into your fork. 'git-push' command
will print the URL where you can make the merge request. (I believe there
is also Gitlab API that would allow making a command line tool instead
of feeding the URL to a browser.) In a browser, type in the cover letter
- if there was just one patch in the branch, it will be pre-filled with
the commit message. Tick couple of boxes and click submit.

Revising a merge request is simply force-pushing the branch into your
fork. You don't need to write down patch by patch what you changed
since the last time.

None of this requires any action from any other human than yourself.

> > I find it somewhat strange that you advocate a mailing list workflow,
> > but cannot or do not want to deal with that low average traffic as
> > currently on wayland-devel at . What's the difference?
>
> I would be happier about using wayland-devel@ if the Weston
> chatter/patches/etc were moved to a different list.

Weston patches have been essentially off the list for several months
now. Discussions will still happen. There is a backlog of unreviewed
patches that might get a comment, but that is quite rare.

Wayland moved on to using Gitlab merge requests recently.

Libinput seems to be using merge requests as well, though having
discussions and announcements on wayland-devel at .

You know, it might actually be better if wayland-protocols things like
applying for membership were done as Gitlab issues instead of mailing
list threads which are unorganized (e.g. which applications are
currently pending). It's the same reason why applying for developer
status for Wayland and Weston is intended to be done via issues, not
emails.