Anyway to update `xkb_keymap` after `wl_display_run` ?

Sichem Zhou sichem.zh at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 01:37:56 UTC 2019

Hi wayland developers?

I found that currently there is no way to change `xkb_keymap` after Weston
is running.

By different backends, xkb_info in wayland works differently, for example,
the wayland and x11 backend, weston_keyboard is initialized with whatever
the xkb_rules initialized in current environment and they do not use global
xkb_info. While in DRM backend, all weston_keyboards seem to use the global
keymap.  It can be changed by setting up `weston_compositor_set_xkb_rules`
before `weston_compositor_wake`. After that, there is nothing I can do. It
is used to be possible to call `weston_seat_update_keymap`, but It is now
an internal API. Even by that I think it would be a nasty way to change
keymap.

I am wondering why in weston_compositor_set_xkb_rules, there is only
updates for rules itself rather than updating `compositor->xkb_info`. If
possible, I think it should be a quick fix, I can submit a MR for it.

Regards,
Sichem