[RFC 0/2] Add fp16 formats

Strasser, Kevin kevin.strasser at intel.com
Tue Feb 5 21:57:40 UTC 2019

Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 22:10:00 +0000 "Strasser, Kevin"
> <kevin.strasser at intel.com> wrote:
> > That is what I was trying to achieve, offering applications fp16 scan
> > out buffers. I'm not aware of any explicit requirement for adding the
> > wl_shm format outside of Mesa's Walyand egl driver, which includes
> > WL_SHM_FORMAT* for each supported visual (I think just for the swrast path).
>
> That should really be only the software rendering paths and they use wl_shm
> specifically.
>
> The hardware rendering paths should use DRM formats (drm_fourcc), everything
> is kind of standardising around those these days.

Ok, I *think* we are on the same page. Once the drm formats have landed in the
kernel we will add the equivalent to wl_shm (probably my first patch unless we
decide on some other fourcc definition). This will make fp16 visuals available
for hardware and software (swrast) paths in the egl driver. That should cover
the requirements for use in Weston's gl renderer.

Thanks,
Kevin