Fwd: PSA: Mailman changes, From addresses no longer accurate

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Feb 12 09:50:27 UTC 2019

Hi all,
Unfortunately, freedesktop.org's job of sending mail to a huge number
of people whilst pretending to be other people, has just got even
harder than it was.

fd.o can no longer (at least for the moment) send mail with the From
addresses of DMARC/DKIM/SPF-protected sender domains. When we try to
do so, large providers reject the mail, despite DMARC records
explicitly specifying that the mail should be accepted. Worse than
that, not only does the immediate delivery attempt fail, but it
punishes our sender reputation enough that _other_ mail delivery
fails: after we hit a DMARC-related failure, large providers often
refuse delivery attempts for mail from non-DMARC-protected domains.

As a result, if the sender domain has a DMARC record, we rewrite the
>From address to be the list's address, preserving the original author
in Reply-To.

I'm chasing this up through a few channels, but in the meantime,
please be aware that the From address on mails may no longer be
accurate. If you are attempting to apply patches with git-am, please
check that the commit author is not 'Person Name via listname-devel
<listname-devel at lists.freedesktop.org>'.

If you are replying privately to a list mail, please be _very_ careful
that you are replying to the original sender (in Reply-To) and not the
list itself.

Cheers,
Daniel